Saturday, August 05, 2006

Felt (Experience)


'HUWAG KANG MATAKOT!'
(An Experience of the Initiation: Ultimate Test of Trust)
Sem. Christopher Pastelero

"Initiation" is a process which often implies a lot of meanings. Oftentimes it is being misunderstood as a painstaking way of accepting someone in a group. Before entering into a certain group, organization, or community, new members should undergo in this process and hopefully be accepted as official members. Different organizations and institutions perform this process; even our seminary has adopted it.

As a new member in this unique community, I am one of those twenty one freshmen who have experienced being initiated. Well, it is not about what most people outside the seminary think of it. I have witnessed several initiations from different fraternities and sororities portrayed in movies or televisions and it is totally different with the initiation of our seminary community. It is a test of my trust with my fellow brothers in the name of Christ whom I follow. It is not about hitting my legs with a hard metal base bat to prove my loyalty towards the group and putting my head into a container filled with water and unidentified substances.

"Trust" is what matters most in our initiation. There were elder brothers of ours who assisted us and to trust them was a necessity or else we would have been in great danger. I need not to mention our initiation in details for the sake of having somewhat surprising moments for the next batch to be initiated.

It was awesome that it came out like a party or outing after the tiresome initiation proper. Our seminary formators were witnessing us so there was nothing to worry about. It was an experience of mixed emotions, feelings, excitement, and fear. At the beginning of the initiation, I told myself that I wish I did not enter in this institution, but after all, I realized the true essence of what we have done. I thought that it would be a horrible and bloody initiation. But I was definitely wrong. It was not mere physical tests, but of courage and, more importantly, of trust. I am reminded of what our elder brothers kept on telling us before and during our initiation, "Huwag kang matakot! Magtiwala ka lang sa amin at walang mangyayaring masama sa iyo," which was definitely true. It was fun because all of us were able to survive and realize that our "trust" is as strong as the strongest wall here on earth.

It was just like what Jesus did with Peter. Jesus tested the faith of Peter to come with him and walk over the water. Peter was afraid and somewhat doubting and so when he tried to walk over the water, he slowly sank.

"Trust" is necessary to lay a strong and firm foundation in our community so that whatever storms, difficulties, challenges, and trials may come along our journey towards priesthood, we may pass through it. May the presence of Jesus, our Brother, be ever in our midst by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. "Community is not living alone, but living as one."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home